Fantastic Home Remedies To Soothe Joint Pain In The Knee:
- Protect the injured or painful area
- Stop or change the activity that is causing pain
- Take rest and don’t use the painful knee if possible
- Keep a small pillow under the injured knee to support it.
- Applying ice or cold packs to the affected area 2 or 3 times a day reduces swelling and eases pain
- Avoid hot showers, hot tubs, hot packs, or alcoholic beverages for the first 48 hours after a knee injury.
- The injured knee in elastic bandage will help decrease the swelling
- Wrapping the knee too tightly causes the area above or below the wrappings to swell.
- Tight elastic bandages cause numbness, tingling, increased pain, coolness, or swelling in the area below.
- The elastic bandage is not meant to protect or stabilise a knee injury, only to alleviate the swelling.
Sometimes old injuries and age-related knee pain can be treated with remedies commonly found in the Indian kitchen:
The anti-inflammatory compounds in ginger help reduce swelling on the knee along with the pain. Brew ginger in hot water, with a little honey & lemon. Drink 2- 3 cups a day until the pain eases.
- Grate 1 – inch Ginger piece & boil for 10 minutes in 1 cup water.
- Strain the decoction & add a little honey & lemon before drinking.
Caution: Turmeric has blood-thinning properties people on blood-thinner medication are advised not to take this remedy regularly.
This holy plant has anti-rheumatic and antispasmodic properties.
Easy Home Remedies For Knee Joint Pain
Knee pain has become a part of life for many people because it never goes. This pain can start at any age. However, usually, it is more as you age. Whether it is due to an injury or some underlying medical condition, knee pain can interfere with your daily activities. The debilitating pain may last for some hours or at times for days altogether.
The prominent cause of knee pain currently everyone is facing is obesity. Obesity causing knee pain at any age as it causes extra pressure on your knee joints. For some, it can turn into a lifelong issue. Many types of minor knee pain respond well to self-care measures. Physical therapy and knee braces also can help relieve knee pain. In some cases, however, your knee may require surgical repair.
Check In With Your Pharmacist
As with any medication regimen, make sure to discuss with your provider any other drugs you might be on as you discuss treatments for your knee pain. Make sure you consult your pharmacist about any potential interactions a new supplement may have with other medications and herbal products you are currently taking.
Read Also: Whiten Knees Fast
Here Are 5 Home Remedies For Knee Joint Pain:
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
The alkalizing effect of apple cider vinegar softens mineral build-ups and unhealthy toxins within your knee joint. It also supports to restore joint lubricants to lessen pain and improve mobility. Apple Cider Vinegar is an excellent source for decreasing your knee joint pain. You can mix apple cider vinegar with water and drink it daily before going to bed. You can also add some amount of it in your water bathtub and drown knee for 20-25 minutes. Another way to use apple cider vinegar is to blend it with coconut oil and apply on the affected area of the knee.
The presence of compounds like gingerol makes it a potent anti-inflammatory and analgesic treatment. For health issues like arthritis, muscle strain or injury, ginger is a powerful remedy as it helps in alleviating the pain. Add a little piece of fresh ginger to a cup of water and boil it. You can also add honey and lemon juice for better taste. You can also have two to three cups of this ginger tea daily until the pain is gone. Massage the affected knee area with ginger oil twice a day for better results.
Also read: 6 Health Benefits of Ginger For Your Body
Also read: 8 Amazing Health Benefits Of Lemons
5. Cayenne Pepper
Top 7 Home Remedies For Knee Pain
Get your knee pain under control using these top seven expert recommended natural home knee pain remedies. In this video Ill be covering all seven natural remedies.
And just a bit about me. My name is Dr. David Middaugh and Im a specialist physical therapist at El Paso manual physical therapy. This channel is dedicated to helping people stay healthy, active and mobile while avoiding unnecessary surgery, injections and medications. Please subscribe to the channel so you dont miss out on any of the helpful videos that we upload every single week.
Lets get to these natural remedies. Number one, tailgate swings. This is a hidden gem and this is huge. So Im sitting here on this table My feet are dangling. You may not be able to see my feet but all Im doing is just swinging my legs back and forth at home, find a computer chair or a barstool or somewhere where you can sit where your feet dangle off the ground. And all you got to do is wiggle back and forth.
Now speaking of sleep, the next tip that I highly recommend is finding the best sleep position for your knees. Oftentimes people get much discomfort with finding the best sleeping position at night they cant have their legs straight or bands relying on their side hurts their knees or their hips.
Also Check: How To Get Rid Of Cellulite Above My Knees
Massage With Olive Oil
How to use:
Take a little amount of olive oil and use it to massage your knee with gentle movements.
Note: Various other oils, including mustard, coconut, sesame, and cinnamon oil are used for knee massage. However, it is important to discuss it with your doctor as there is no research to support their use.
Knee Pains Can Be Excruciating However Before You Call Up For A Doctors Appointment Try These 5 Easy
Apply ice packs for knee pain
Old or young, knee pain is a common issue in all age groups. Be it walking, gyming, running or sometimes even winters can make things worse for you. And amidst going through the pain, the first thing one does is to depend on pain killers. But before you step out to visit a pharmacist and pop some pills try considering the natural remedies. Yes, read on to know how can knee pain be dealt with the easily available ingredients at the comfort of your home.
Go for carom seeds
These seeds contain anti-inflammatory properties which help in reducing swelling and redness which are caused due to arthritis and other inflammatory diseases.
How to use
- Crush carom seeds with water.
- Simply apply the paste on your knees.
Try camphor oil
Camphor oil increases your blood circulation and helps in relieving stress and irritation on your joints.
How to use
- Add a tspn of camphor powder to a cup of hot coconut oil. But make sure that the oil is not boiling.
- Let it cool and massage on your knees twice a day to get the desired results.
Apply castor oil
Castor oil contains anti-inflammatory compounds which treats inflammation and improves your condition.
How to use
- Gently massage your paining knee with warm castor oil.
Turmeric is a potent antiseptic compound that contains curcumin which is anti-inflammatory and helps in reducing your pain.
How to use
Pick ice packs
How to use
You May Like: Rollator Knee Scooter
How To Treat Joint Pain
We put anyone complaining of joint pain through a very thorough examination because not all joint pain is the same, Dr. Parikh says. We have to properly diagnose the pain and find the precise pain generators before we can tailor a treatment plan.
Ways to treat joint pain at home include:
Here are ways your doctor may treat your joint pain in an office-setting:
- Corticosteroid injections: Armed with the right diagnosis, doctors can administer a corticosteroid injection or a targeted nerve block, which can decrease inflammation and ease the pain. Our goal is to reduce pain and inflammation, and preserve the joints function, Dr. Parikh says.
- Physical therapy: Patients suffering from joint pain can benefit greatly from physical therapy. A physical therapist will use heat and cold therapy and a wide variety of other modalities to ease the pain, strengthen and stabilize the joint, and improve range of motion.
- Regenerative medicine: There have been many advancements in the field of regenerative medicine to help heal damaged or injured tissue, including the lining of your joints. These therapies include injection of substances found in your blood or other compounds into specific locations to strengthen tissue and decrease the effects of long-term arthritis.
Whatever your treatment plan, if the pain in your joint becomes too intense or it suddenly becomes inflamed or swollen, get medical help right away.
Natural Remedies For Joint Pain
When joint pain flares up, you want relieffast. But you might not want to pop a pain reliever, especially if you’re concerned about side effects or interactions with other drugs. Or maybe meds alone aren’t doing enough, so you’re looking to add a drug-free remedy to your arsenal. Ice and heat are great, but they’re not your only options. Here are 7 more natural ways to fight inflammation and ease your ache.
The scientific proof that acupuncture improves osteoarthritis pain is a little iffy. But a 2013 research review did conclude that there’s some evidence that this alternative treatment improves pain and stiffness in people with fibromyalgia . So if you’re not averse to needles, book a few sessions. Just remember that frequent visits may be needed before you see results, and most insurance plans won’t cover it, says Sheryl Mascarenhas, MD, an assistant professor of rheumatology at The Ohio State University.
Swimming, water aerobics, and other aquatic activities “promote flexibility and strength without high impact,” says Mark Karadsheh, MD, an orthopedic surgeon at the William Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, MI. A 2014 review in the journal Physical Therapy found that exercising in water reduces pain and improves physical functioning in people with osteoarthritis of the lower limbs. Meanwhile, a 2015 study from The Netherlands found that a 45-minute aquatic circuit training session helped relieve the pain of knee osteoarthritis.
Read Also: Can Knee Cartilage Be Rebuilt
Natural Remedies For Knee Pain
If you experience soreness and discomfort in your knees, you’re not alone. Annually, about 18 million people visit a healthcare provider to treat their knee pain. It can hamper daily activities like exercise, climbing stairs, and household chores. For many, this pain stems from osteoarthritis, a chronic, degenerative condition that causes joint inflammation due to the gradual breakdown of knee cartilage. It’s the most common form of arthritis, and is said to impact about 30% of the population.
You should seek medical attention if you are experiencing severe pain or worsening symptoms. For those with mild or moderate knee pain, there are many natural remedies that you can turn to at home for relief, from topical treatments to lifestyle changes.
Apple Cider Vinegar And Other Foods
According to some sources, apple cider vinegar has anti-inflammatory properties that can help relieve arthritis and other types of pain.
However, there is a lack of scientific evidence to support this. The Arthritis Foundation refers to ACV as a food myth.
Other popular advice for arthritis includes:
- consuming collagen, gelatin, or pectin, and raw foods.
- avoiding dairy, acidic foods, and nightshade vegetables, such as tomatoes, potatoes, and eggplant
There is no evidence to suggest that these are helpful or even advisable.
It commonly affects teenagers, especially young female athletes. It is the most common overuse syndrome in sportspeople.
Most cases of front knee pain are injuries from overuse, or from poor preparation for exercise. The problems usually go away on their own, and sporting activities can resume after the pain subsides.
The pain varies but tends to:
- be a dull ache that starts gradually, and is linked to activities
- produce clicking or other sounds
- come on when going upstairs, or when getting up after a long time sitting, squatting down, or kneeling
- produce a weakness in the legs
Recommended treatments for front knee pain include:
Read Also: How To Whiten Knees Fast
Capsaicin Creams And Rubs
Capsaicin is the active ingredient in chili peppers that, when used in the form of ointments, lotions, and transdermal skin patches, can relieve pain. Capsaicin is the cause of the burning feeling you associate with chili peppers, and some research suggests that it depletes nerve cells of the chemicals that shoot pain messages to your brain.
A 2014 report found consistent evidence that capsaicin treatments are effective for osteoarthritis pain relief. Capsaicin products only offer temporary relief, however. Some doctors recommend that it be applied multiple times per day. You should also test it out first on a small patch of skin to make sure you don’t have an allergic reaction. Also, avoid applying capsaicin products on broken skin or open wounds.
Up Your Calcium Intake
Getting too little calcium raises the risk of osteoporosis, a brittle-bone condition that accelerates if you have RA. Men and women should get 1,000 milligrams of calcium a day, 1,200 for women over 50 and men over 70. Dairy is the most famous source of calcium, but its also found in such veggies as cauliflower, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, kale, kohlrabi, broccoli, and turnip greens. Here are 11 foods with more calcium than a glass of milk.
You May Like: How To Whiten Knees And Elbows
/9massage With Essential Oils
Massaging is an excellent way to get relief from the symptoms of knee and joint pain. Using essential oil for massaging your knees is even more effective. As per some studies, ginger and orange essential oils work quite well in getting rid of knee pain. It releases stiffness and reduces pain in the affected part.
Rice Treatment For Immediate Relief
RICE, which stands for rest, ice, compression, and elevation, can help subdue knee inflammation when performed twice or thrice daily.
- Rest: Give rest to your knees from the activities that can irritate it and aggravate the inflammation.
- Ice: Apply ice to your knees for 15 minutes to subside the inflammation. The cold, restricts blood flow to the knee and acts as an anesthetic to help relieve the pain. Place a towel on your knee before applying the ice and avoid long exposure as it can lead to frostbite.
- Compression: Use a tight wrap or bandage around the knee to restrict blood flow and heat in the area.
- Elevate: Elevate the knee above the heart level to help increase blood flow back to the heart. This helps in removing excessive blood from your knee and boosts circulation.
Performing RICE two to three times a day is generally the first line of treatment for most knee pains.
Recommended Reading: Can Knee Replacement Cause Neuropathy
Try A Castor Oil Pack
Castor oil has been long used for treating various pains, including sciatica and arthritis. It has been found to possess anti-inflammatory ricinoleic acid which may help reduce pain. However, its use is based on anecdotal evidence and therefore should only be used as an additional therapy with caution.
How to use:
- Prepare calendula tea by steeping the herb in around three cups of boiling water and strain.
- Soak a cloth in the warm tea.
- Massage the affected knee with castor oil and cover with the soaked cloth, leaving it for up to 7 hours.
Naturaltreatment For Bursitis #6 Apple Cider Vinegar & Black Strap Molasses:
The ACV and unsulphuredblack strap molasses combo is another powerful and effective treatment for bursitis.Apple cider vinegar restores alkalinity to the body and containshealthy amounts of joint healing nutrients including magnesium, calcium,potassium and phosphorous. Black strap molasses is also alkaline boosting and isrich in crucial magnesium, along with calcium, iron, boron, copper, manganese,B6 and selenium. For this remedy, all you do is add a tablespoon of raw organicapple cider vinegar with the mother and a teaspoon of unsulphured black strap molasses to a glass of warm filtered water. Stir until the BSM isfully dissolved then drink down. Be sure to drink this concoction twice dailyon an empty stomach for at least 7 to 10 days, then to keep your bursitis away,continue to have two teaspoons of the ACV and one teaspoon of the black strap molasses each day in a glass of water to help maintain the alkalinity in your body.
Note: For anextra shot of alkalinity and for extra fast healing and relief, you can alsoadd ½ teaspoon of baking soda to the mix. Baking soda is pH boosting as well,however, only take this for the first 7-10 days as this will be enough to giveyour body the alkalinity kick it needs to heal your bursitis fast. Takingbaking soda all the time can actually cause your body to become too alkaline,something you dont want to happen.
Read Also: Is Nano Knee Covered By Medicare