Safe And Effective Taping For Runners Knee Pain
Running injuries like runners knee is a painful condition that causes pain and discomfort with movement that causes you to bend your knee. Knee taping is one treatment option that can be done at home, with minimal expense. Its most effective when combined with other treatments. Always talk to your doctor or physical therapist to get an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan.
General Anterior Knee Pain Taping
A simple taping technique play video which can be done for any anterior knee pain. Its purpose is to encourage the muscles of the thigh to pull in a way that helps patella tracking. This taping works by encouraging the muscles of the leg to keep the knee facing forwards and so encourages correct patella tracking. It is ideal for running and other sporting actives where a full patella taping may be restrictive.
Does Kt Tape Really Work
Evidence Lacking A review of evidence from 10 research papers for Kinesio tape to treat and prevent sports injuries was published in the journal Sports Medicine in February. No clinically important results were found to support the tapes use for pain relief. There were inconsistent range-of-motion results.
Read Also: What Do You Do For Fluid On The Knee
Is Ice Or Heat Better For Runners Knee
Ice: Reduce pain and swelling by applying an ice pack or a pack of frozen peas on your knee for up to 30 minutes at a time. Avoid heat to your knee. Compression: Wrap your knee with an elastic bandage or sleeve to restrict swelling, but make sure not to wrap your bandage too tightly as to cause swelling below the knee.
How Do You Remove Kt Tape
Removing Your Kinesio Tex Tape Put some baby oil or cooking oil on the tape and let it soak for a few minutes to break down the adhesive. Remove the tape in the direction of hair growth by slowly rolling down the tape and applying pressure on the skin with your other hand. Use oil to remove any extra residue.
Don’t Miss: What Does Gout In The Knee Feel Like
Can Kt Tape Be Harmful
2 Using kinesiology tape near the DVT can increase mobility and blood flow. This may cause the clot to become dislodged and may put you at risk for a pulmonary embolism, which may be fatal. Infection: If you are showing signs of infection, kinesiology tape should not be used, as it may worsen your condition.
The Last Word On Kt Tape
Just like a knee brace or any other type of joint therapy, KT Tape isnt a magic bullet. You should always consult a doctor, chiropractor, or physical therapist to learn if using KT Tape is appropriate for treating any problems you have with your knee joint, and if you have the option of a physical therapist applying your KT Tape so that you can watch and learn how to do it yourself, you should always do so.
At the same time, KT Tape has been growing in popularity for a reason since the 1970s. If you and your doctor or physical therapist feel its an appropriate treatment for your knee joint issues, then welcome to the wide world of using KT Tape to provide better stability and support to your knee! Follow the guidelines weve set out for you here, take it slow, and enjoy some well-earned relief from your knee pain.
How much does knee tape it cost?
Don’t Miss: Why Is My Knee Joint Hurting
How To Apply Kt Tape For Plantar Fasciitis
Youll need: 1 full strip, 2 half strips
1. Sit in a chair with ankle crossed over knee, ankle and toes flexed.;
2. Full Strip 1 : Tear and remove the backing paper 2 inches from one end to create a starting anchor. Apply the anchor with no stretch on the ball of the foot.;Hold anchor in place with one hand. With a moderate stretch, apply strip along bottom of foot to heel. With no stretch, apply the remaining strip up the back of the heel. Rub the strip to activate adhesion.
3. Half Strip 1 : Tear and remove the backing paper 2 inches from one end to create a starting anchor. With the strip directed toward the bottom of the foot, apply the anchor with no stretch on the outside of the foot, just in front of the heel.;Hold anchor in place with one hand. With a moderate stretch, apply strip across bottom of foot toward inside of ankle, directly over point of pain and just ahead of bottom of heel.;Apply the last 2 inches with no stretch on the inside of the foot, above the inner ankle bone. Rub the strip to activate adhesion.
Indications For Knee Taping
It is generally beneficial to tape a knee in the following instances:
- Following certain knee injuries Knee strapping may be beneficial following certain knee injuries . This should be discussed with the treating physiotherapist as certain knee injuries should not be taped such as some fractures.
- To prevent injury or injury aggravation Knee strapping may be beneficial during sports or activities that place the knee at risk of injury or injury aggravation
Recommended Reading: What Do They Inject In Your Knee For Pain
Why Does Patellofemoral Pain Taping Help
- Often the muscle on the inside of your thigh is weak and the muscles on the outside of your thigh is tight, or strong in comparison.
- This causes the patella to drift laterally too much. Therefore, the patella does not track naturally.
- Over time, friction between your patella and femur causes inflammation and pain.
- Taping the kneecap so it is pulled medially helps it track away from any sore spots as your knee bends.
If The Patella Needs Tilting
- Apply a strip of 2.5cm non-stretch tape from the centre of the knee cap towards the inner knee.
- Gently pull on the tape before fixing to assist in gliding the patella towards the inside of the knee.
- This can be increased further by pushing the skin on the inside of knee towards the kneecap before fixing the tape
You May Like: What Is The Mcl In Your Knee
Kt Tape For Knee Stability
An unstable knee joint is one thats all too prone to accident and injury. Instability can lead to some painful situations, especially if you twist your knee in a direction its not really designed to go, which can result in bruised or even torn tendons and ligaments. Such injuries can be painful and very slow to heal, especially considering how much we use our knees every day just in mundane situations like walking around the home or office.
Providing your knee joint with the extra stability it needs to keep in its proper alignment helps reduce the chance of suffering from bruised and torn tendons and ligaments, even as you go about your day. The compression KT Tape provides pushes back against those twisting forces, keeping your joint in alignment; meanwhile, the flexible nature of KT Tape means that your joint will still be able to move in ways that it needs to in order to function properly. As an overall result, taping your knee joint properly can help prevent injury from occurring in the first place.
Rocktape For Your Knee Pain
RockTape has become the go-to option for taping for knee pain, whether it be in children or adolescents, weekend warriors, tradies or even the older population with arthritis pain.; Due to the flexible nature of RockTape, it allows full range of movement for everyday tasks and sporting activities, as well as being comfortable and providing a sense of support without unnecessarily restricting movement.; RockTape is also hypoallergenic, containing no latex or zinc oxide, and this makes it suitable for most people, even those with allergies to some of the traditional tapes.; Some knee conditions that people like to use RockTape for include:
- Patellofemoral pain, which can be called runners knee, anterior knee pain, maltracking patella/kneecap amongst other terms
- Osgood-Schlatters condition
- Resolving ligament injuries such as medial collateral ligament injuries
As the saying goes, there are many ways to skin a cat.; Whilst we are not sure whether this is in fact true , there are certainly many ways to RockTape a knee.; Everyone has their favourite method, and the good news is that the best way is the way that works for you!; Provided that all the RockTape pieces start and finish on skin, with rounded corners, then you should get 3-5 days out of every application.; The best application for knee pain depends on:
Recommended Reading: How To Cure Tendonitis In Knee
K Taping For Your Knee
Measure a strip of K TAPE from the mid-quad to just below the knee.
Cut the tape into a Y STRIP .
If youre unsure of how to cut a Y STRIP, see our K Taping Cuts video.
Lay the base of the Y STRIP at mid quad.
Bend the knee, and lay the tails of the Y STRIP around the patella with 25% stretch.
Cut a short I STRIP and tear the backing paper to remove the central section.
Lay the tape down underneath the patella, aiming upwards with 50-75% tension through the mid part of tape.
Bend the knee into full flexion once again, and then lay down the tails with no tension.
This will prevent the tape from recoiling back on itself when the knee is flexed.
Wait 30 mins before starting any form of exercise. This gives the K TAPE sufficent time to stick.
OTHER Knee & Lower Leg GUIDES
How Do You Stabilize A Torn Meniscus
You can prevent meniscus tears by regularly performing exercises that strengthen your leg muscles. This will help stabilize your knee joint to protect it from injury. You can also use protective gear during sports or a brace to support your knee during activities that may increase your risk of injury.
Don’t Miss: What Does Cortisone Do For The Knee
Supporting The Cyst Behind Your Knee
Dos And Donts Before Applying Kt Tape For Pain
- Proper analysis of the suffererâs condition is mandatory to get the best results
- Avoid using KT Tape on an area which has scrapes, cuts, burns, rash, or sunburns
- Never use excessive tension while applying KT Tape
- If adhesion of the tape is hampering due to body hair, then remove body hair
- Ensure you donât perspire while applying the adhesive tape
- Avoid getting involved in the exercise, swimming, or bathing for at least one hour after application of the tape
- After using the tape, rub it up and down to activate the heat sensitive glue
Knee pain can obstruct your success and happiness. But every problem comes with a solution, and knee pain also has an excellent remedial solution. After reading this article, you are well aware of the fantastic remedy of knee pain, and that is the Kinesiology Tape for knee pain relief.
The elastic tape is a miracle which works efficiently on your skin. It not only works well on your pain but is also budget-friendly and quite easy to use. So if you are missing out on the fun from your life owing to the clingy interior knee pain, your best friend, KT Tape for knee is at your rescue. You donât have to rely on those expensive and harmful painkillers for dealing with your pain as the fantastic KT tape will give you relief from the throbbing pain in the best possible way
You May Like: How To Get Rid Of Knee Fat And Cellulite
Does Kt Tape Help A Meniscus Tear
KT Tape: Full Knee Support One or more meniscus may be torn, ruptured, or inflamed. KT Tape can help reduce pain and inflammation for many common injuries*. With this application you will get support, pain relief, and normal body mechanics without restricting motion or circulation like other treatments*.
Kinesiology Taping And Lymphatic Drainage
Kinesiology taping is still a relativley new adjunct to physiotherapy therefore research is a little sparce, therefore clinical experience and case resports are the preliminary resource for evidence of application. The theory behind using kinesio taping is that when applied it assists in providing a ‘lift’ to the skin allowing freer movement of fluid under the tape, this has been show to be most effective with smaller / thinner strips of the tape.;;
Here is an example of the results kinesiology tape has on lymphatic drainage and haematomas.;
Read Also: What To Do For Knee Joint Pain
What About Knee Sleeves And Braces
Essentially, sleeves and braces work under the same principles that make both the spiral and figure of 8 techniques effective.
- Sleeves are there primarily to provide compression which not only improves blood flow but also gives you the feeling of stability. Theoretically, this is because of the tactile sensation of having something wrapped around your joint.
- A brace gives you actual stability thanks to the metal hinges on the inner and/or outer sides of the knee joint. This helps prevent excessive movement on the joint which, in turn, may help prevent further damage.
Needless to say, a knee brace is better than the figure of 8 method when it comes to stabilizing your joint.
However, I dont recommend using a brace or a sleeve during the early stage of injury because elastic bandages are easier to put on and take off. As such, simply donning and/or doffing these orthotics could irritate a sensitive new injury which, in turn, might disturb the healing process.
That being said, I think sleeves and braces are generally better for the later stages of your recovery. The rigidity of hinged braces is particularly great when youre doing any sports-related exercise while the sleeve helps keep your joint warm which then promotes better blood flow.
Now, a lot of you might be asking:
For Anterior Knee Pain
If you have pain in the front and center of your knee, its called anterior knee pain. Its commonly caused by patellofemoral pain syndrome or knee arthritis.
Often, the first technique mentioned in this article is used for this issue. But you can try a similar method with pre-cut Y-shaped tape.
Youll need clean skin and two Y strips .
Knee tape can adhere quite well. When its time to take it off, consider these suggestions:
Don’t Miss: How To Prevent Knee Pain In Old Age
My Tear Came With A Ligament Tear & Knee Hyperextension Should I Treat It Any Different
This is actually very common in meniscus tears. As a matter of fact, one research shows how nearly 75% of ACL tears came with meniscal issues. I, for one, have had the unfortunate luck of having these injuries on 2 separate occasions:
So, know that Im speaking from personal experience and from an experts standpoint as a physical therapist.
That being said, rehab and recovery for ACL and meniscus tears have more in common than they have differences.
So, you generally should treat them the same way. Here are a few quick things you should know and/or expect:
- Both injuries can heal on their own but more severe tears may require surgery.
- With injuries that require surgery, recovery may take 6 months or more but minor tears can heal in about 2.
- The initial phases of treatment for both tears involve controlling the swelling. This means rest, ice, compression, and elevation . You may also need to use crutches.
- When the swelling has gone down, protocols for both involve strengthening and stretching the muscles around the joint, normalizing range of motion, balance exercises, and other specific exercises to get you ready to return to your sport.
Athletic Taping Vs Kinesio Taping
Athletic and kinesiology taping each have their benefits and downsides. When used for runners knee youll need to make your decision on which type of tape you need based on the result you are looking to achieve. Here are a few points about both types of tape for you to consider when making your choice.
- Can be worn for multiple days and can get wet
- Moves with your body and doesnt restrict movement
Read Also: Why Does My Knee Stiffen Up After Sitting