What Does Movement Have To Do With A Sprained Wrist
Image courtesy of Curso ENARM 2017
So we talked a little bit about how the wrist allows for lots of movement, and also how symptoms of a sprained wrist generally hinder movement both in terms of stiffness and pain. So whats the connecting factor? That answer lies in the ligaments that surround the wrist.
When you see the word sprain , and assuming it is being used correctly, this refers to damage to a ligament or multiple ligaments. On the other hand, the word strain refers to damage to a muscle. So when you sprain your wrist, or ankle, or any other joint in the body, you are damaging the ligaments that surround that joint.
Ligaments are like elastic bands. They are tight enough that when they span over a joint they offer some additional stability, but if they stretch too much, they can be taken beyond the amount they are able to stretch, resulting in micro-tears, a partial tear, or complete rupture. These are passive structures, meaning you dont have voluntary control over them like you do with muscles.
Here is a brief explanation of a sprained wrist from a hand and wrist surgeon at the Mayo Clinic. In this brief video, Dr. Kakar gives a nice explanation of the wrist and wrist sprains, and provides his thoughts on treating a sprain.
Do Regular Sports To Get Rid Of Knee Pain Fast
The practice of a physical activity is important to strengthen the muscles around the knees, which act as a secondary damper. As a result, the stronger your muscles , the more they can absorb the impact . That said, not all exercises are good for the knees, especially if you already have pain in the area. High-intensity activities such as light jogging, running, tennis and climbing stairs will only make the pain worse. Therefore, focus only on simple exercises such as walking and cycling, outdoors and in a gym. Regular sports helps you to get rid of knee pain fast.
- Some gymnastic exercises strengthen the quadriceps , the hamstrings and the calf without exerting strong pressure on the knee joint. These are mini squats, pressure and leg extensions. They should not cause pain and involve knee flexion that does not exceed 45 degrees.
- Discuss with a personal trainer or physiotherapist isometric knee exercises, such as assisted flexion, that do not require high joint movements.
- Replace high-impact activities with water aerobics and swimming. The buoyancy of the water reduces pressure on the knees but is a great way to work the leg muscles. Also, swimming is perfect for losing weight.
Types Of Ankle Braces
There are many types of ankle braces available in the market and if you delve into it, youll find that there are many types of ankle braces originating from various companies that cater to the multi-dimensional needs of the customer. There are three types of ankle braces in general
- Soft ankle braces are generally made of soft, cloth-like materials. They provide padding for the ankle but at the same time doesnt restrict the mobility of the ankle that much. It provides support while lacking the rigidness. This type of ankle braces is quite inexpensive.
- Semi-rigid ankle braces are aimed for the people who need more support to the ankle and at the same time provides a wider range of motions There are many variations available in this section like lace-up, wrap up or mixed, hinged etc. These types of ankle braces are slightly more expensive than the soft type ankle braces.
- Rigid ankle braces are not used for sports purposes. They play more of a supporting role as they aid during the healing process mainly. They provide the most amount of support among all types of ankle braces. Rigid ankle braces, as their name suggests, immobilize the ankle to a certain extent. In addition to the padding, the price also goes up a bit.
Recommended Reading: Fluid On The Knee Remedies
Rest Ice Heat Compression And Elevation
Doctors recommend a combination of rest, ice, compression, and elevationcalled the RICE regimenfor one or two weeks after diagnosis. The time frame for RICE treatment varies depending on the severity of the knee injury and is determined by your doctor.
Resting the affected ligaments, tendons, muscles, and cartilage gives the knee time to heal. Your doctor may provide a cane or crutches to help you keep weight off the affected knee for about a week. After the swelling starts to subside, most people can walk while wearing a knee brace.
During the first 3 days after the injury, your doctor may recommend applying ice to your knee 3 times a day for 15 minutes at a time to reduce swelling. After this, applying a heating pad or another heat source, such as a heat wrap, can increase blood flow to the injured area and speed healing. Elevating the knee 3 times a day for 15 minutes at a time may also help reduce swelling.
Until the inflammation fully subsides, doctors recommend avoiding the activity that caused the injury, as well as other activities that put stress on the knee. Returning to work or sports too soon greatly increases the risk that a knee injury may heal slowly or worsen or that another injury may occur.
Your doctor determines when your knee has healed based on relief of your symptoms.
Important: If You Feel Your Injury Is Significant You Could Have A Grade 2 Or Grade 3 Sprain You Should See A Medical Professional As Soon As Possible Such As A Doctor Of Physical Therapy They Can Perform Tests To Determine The Extent Of The Sprain And Direct You On The Right Course Of Treatment
In most cases physical therapists will be able to help you on the best path to recovery, recommend a brace, or refer you to an orthopedic physician if imaging testing or casting is necessary. This helps you avoid costly imaging tests or medical procedures, if not needed.
Every ankle sprain or knee sprain has three phases of recovery. While healing takes between two weeks and two months, there is no magic formula for making the process go faster. However, systematically moving through these phases allows the joint to heal properly and reduces the likelihood of re-injuring the joint.
Don’t Miss: Whiten Knees Fast
Talk To A Doctor When
Do not wait after a sports injury to see if your joints feel any better. See your sports medicine healthcare provider right away. Otherwise, you may significantly slow down your bodys recovery time.
Clinicians have access to medical diagnostic equipment , as well as years of education. A sports medicine specialist can look at an injured ligament and quickly lay out treatment options for ligament healing.
Do ligaments heal on their own? Ligaments naturally heal on their own, but you can do a lot of things on accident to slow down or completely undo your bodys natural healing processes. If you do not properly treat a ligament injury, it will take longer to heal and be more likely to happen again.
Always talk to a doctor when you feel joint pain after a physical injury.
How To Wash An Ankle Brace
Your ankle brace will probably have its own method of cleaning. So, please check the instruction manual of the brace. Most of the ankle braces of soft type can be washed with soap or detergent.
For the rigid and semi-rigid types if youre unable to wash them then spray them with disinfectant and let them air-dry. Even if you cannot wash your ankle brace daily, you should let them air-dry on a daily basis to avoid getting them smelly or sticky.
You May Like: Nano Knee Surgery Cost
Should I Wear Ankle Support With Socks
Whether you should wear socks with ankle braces or not depends upon your ankle brace. If your ankle brace requires a sock, then you should wear one. In most cases, theyll recommend you to wear athletic socks.
Most products will come with their own set of instructions that are necessary and many may even have their own step-by-step video guide showing you how to wear one. Follow them and away you go!
Whats The Difference Between A Wrist Fracture Vs Broken Bone
When you hear the words fractured bone or broken bone what youre really hearing are different terms with the same meaning. A fractured bone and a broken bone are the same. A fracture is a technical terminology a physician uses to describe an injury to the bone, while a broken bone is a common layperson way of describing an injury to a bone.
Some think of a fracture as less severe than a broken bone, but technically thats not the case. Physicians use words like displaced, malaligned, or angulated to describe a fracture thats not in its normal position. At the end of the day, a fractured bone and a broken bone are one and the same and can be used interchangeably.
Read Also: Is Nano Knee Covered By Medicare
What Are Knee Sprains
Knee sprains are very common injuries where one of the four major ligaments in the knee joint are torn or overstretched. These ligaments all provide stability to your knees to ensure you are walking comfortably and participating in your daily activities.
The ligaments that may be damaged are the anterior cruciate ligament , posterior cruciate ligament , the medial collateral ligament , and the lateral collateral ligament . The ACL forms a bridge the inside of the knee joint, constructing a cross pattern that provides stability to the knee when engaging in front-to-back and back-to-front forces. The main causes of a sprain to the ACL may be a sudden stop, a twist, pivot or fast change in direction. This typically happens when playing basketball, soccer, rugby, wrestling, running, gymnastics and skiing. The PCL ligament, however, sprains due to direct impact to the front of the knee, such as hitting the knee directly on a hard object or landing hard on a bent knee during sports. Next, the MCL provides stability to the inner side of the leg, and may be injured by a severe knee twist during physical activities. Lastly is the Lateral Collateral Ligament . This supports the outer side of the knee and is the least likely area to be sprained because in the event of an injury, usually the other leg will protect the opposite side. If injury does occur, they are usually caused by a hard impact to the inside of the knee.
Self Soft Tissue Work
The biggest thing you can do that will help you get relief is some self soft tissue work. You will need a foam roller and a tennis ball. There are several areas you should concentrate on if you have knee pain. Often tight muscles can place unwanted pressure on the knee, and trigger points can refer pain into the knee. I would suggest you work your quadriceps, ITB and your calf muscles to start.
Here is an example of using a Foam Roller on your quads.
You can use both the tennis ball and the ITB on these areas. If you want more information on exactly how to release your muscles and get rid of your muscle and joint pain check out my self massage book.
You May Like: How To Get Rid Of Fat Around Knees
How Do I Know If I Sprained My Knee
A knee sprain is a common injury that occurs when one of your four major knee ligaments stretches too far or partially tears. This is often a sports-related injury.
The four ligaments are the anterior cruciate ligament , posterior cruciate ligament , medial collateral ligament and lateral collateral ligament , which work together to stabilize your knee joint. The ACL and PCL form an X as they cross each other inside your knee and work together to control the back and forth motion of your knee. The ACL is in the middle of your knee and is responsible for keeping the tibia from sliding in front of the femur . The PCL runs down the back of your knee and prevents the tibia from sliding behind the femur. Your MCL is on the inside of your knee. This ligament makes sure your femur does not swing too far outward. The LCL is across from the MCL on the outside of the knee and also controls the femurs side to side movement.
How To Get Rid Of Knee Pain Fast: Remedies And Medical Treatment
How To Get Rid Of Knee Pain Fast: Home Remedies And Medical Treatment
Knee pain is quite frequent and affects people of all ages, but it almost always happens for different reasons. In the youngest age group, it is usually an injury, such as ligament sprain, tendonitis or meniscus rupture. Already among the older ones, some problems like arthritis, infections, and gout are a more common cause of pain . Most can be treated at home, but in some cases, it is essential to resort to medical treatment, including surgery.
Get rid of knee pain fast at home by applying these remedies.
Don’t Miss: Why Do My Knees Hurt When Its Cold
Of : Performing Flexion And Extension Stretches
Did You Know? Stretching your wrist downward is called an extension stretch.
Did You Know? This upward stretch is called a flexion stretch.
Causes Of A Knee Strain Or Sprain
- Injuries trauma, sports injuries or falls that overstretch the joints and soft tissue that surround the knee and cause a knee sprain or strain.
- Overuse building up too quickly in a sport, such as running, can overwhelm the body and lead to knee strains or sprains.
- Muscle weakness muscles that cant support the knee joints can cause a knee strain or sprain.
- Reduced flexibility tight muscles can restrict joint motion and lead to functional weaknesses at the knee joint to cause a knee strain or sprain.
- Running form overpronating when running or walking can increase stress to the knee and cause a knee strain or sprain.
Recommended Reading: How To Get Rid Of Fat Around Knees
What Is A Knee Strain Or Sprain
A knee strain occurs when a muscle or tendon is torn or stretched. The tendons are fibrous cords that connect muscles to bones.
A knee sprain occurs when the ligaments in the knee joint stretch or tear. Ligaments connect the bones of your lower leg to the bones in your thigh together in your knee joints.
Lose Weight If You Are Overweight Or Obese To Get Rid Of Knee Pain
Overweight people, especially those with fatness, are more likely to have knee pain due to compression of the joints. This increased pressure tires the knee over time and also causes more irritation and damage to the tendons and ligaments . Also, those who are obese are at higher risk of developing a flat foot , resulting in the appearance of knock knees and exerts more pressure on the outer sides of the joint. Weight loss relieves this pressure and reduces pain.
- The safest and most effective way to lose weight is to reduce your calorie intake by 500 calories a day, which can cause you to lose about 2 kg per month . Although physical activity is an essential component of a healthy lifestyle, eating healthy is much more important and has many more benefits when it comes to weight loss.
- Gradually increase your aerobic exercise sessions while reducing your caloric intake.
Read Also: How To Lose Fat In The Arms
Read Also: Why Does My Knee Stiffen Up After Sitting
How To Choose The Ankle Brace I Need
In response to your question how to cure a sprained ankle fast? Our answer was taking care, wearing ankle brace and taking medicine. But how you choose the best ankle brace for you? You need to look out for some qualities before you buy an ankle brace.
- Fitting: make sure the brace compliments your foot size. Dont buy one that is too big or too small.
- Comfort: Even if the ankle brace is of the correct size, make sure you feel comfortable wearing it and that, it doesnt cut off your blood circulation
- Need: The ankle brace should fulfil your necessities. Dont buy a soft brace when you shouldve brought a semi-rigid or rigid one.
- Material: If you have sensitive skins, make sure the materials in the product arent harmful to
- Details: If possible, read the product description properly prior to buying so that you know what youre getting. In particular, make sure that you understand the size chart of the product that youve chosen to avoid ordering the wrong one.