Krill Oil Supplements For Knee Pain
Krill are a tiny, shrimp-like crustaceans found in all the oceans of the world. They feed on microalgae from which they obtain omega-3 fatty acids and two antioxidant pigments, astaxanthin and canthaxanthin. These pigments are produced by algae to protect them from ultraviolet light and, when these algae and shrimps are eaten by wild flamingos, give them their attractive pink plumage. Without them flamingos would be grey. These carotenoid pigments, which also cause shrimps, prawns and lobsters to turn red when cooked, are the reason why krill oil has such a vibrant, crimson colour.
Best Solutions For Knee Pain
Nine options for how to treat your knee pain
Walking, kneeling, stair schlepping…Knees take abuse. No wonder 20% of us report having had pain in these joints in the past 3 months. Most arises from injuries and osteoarthritis, which are more common with age. Here’s how to get a leg up on knee pain.
More From Prevention
Frozen peas pair nicely with knee swelling and knee pain. Whether you injure your knee or suffer an arthritis flare-up, ice molded around the joint for 20 minutes each hour brings down inflammation.
2. NSAIDSIt’s better than acetaminophen. If your stomach can take it, pop the drugs for 10 to 14 days. “That’s more effective than stopping and starting,” says Elizabeth Matzkin, surgical director of women’s musculoskeletal health at Harvard Medical School.
3. Smart ExerciseAs in, definitely don’t stop working out. Keeping active builds muscles that support the knee joint. Two things to avoid if you have knee pain: running and doing full leg extensions with a resistance machine. Better bets: walking, bicycling, and “closed kinetic chain” exercises, in which the foot stays planted .
4. Healing Foods
They go straight to your knees. Drinking 1% or fat-free milk helped women put the brakes on knee osteoarthritis in one study. Other research shows that people who eat fruit with vitamin C show fewer signs of heading toward OA than those who don’t.
Nonsurgical Treatment Options For Knee Pain
Read Time: 6 Minutes
If you suffer from chronic knee pain, you may feel like youre unable to enjoy the things you love doing. While a knee replacement surgery is one option to help relieve joint pain, you may feel like youre either too young or not ready for a knee replacement surgery.
Many nonsurgical treatment options exist to help relieve knee pain, increase mobility and improve your quality of life.
Alan Heincker, DO, an orthopedic surgeon at Phelps Health, discusses ways to treat chronic knee pain without surgery.
Don’t Miss: How To Lose Weight With Knee Pain
Give Water Workouts A Try
Too achy to exercise? Swimming is ideal for people with OA, because it puts little pressure on joints, Herrera says. And it works: A 2016 study published in the Journal of Rheumatology found that sedentary people with OA who swam for 45 minutes three days a week for 12 weeks reported as much of a reduction in pain and stiffness as those who cycled.
Vary your strokes to exercise all your joints and muscles. And though swimming is a good water workout, you can also opt for an aquatic fitness class. Many aquatic centers and YMCAs offer classes geared to people with arthritis.
Read Also: How To Whiten Knees And Elbows
Urgent Advice: Get Advice From 111 Now If:
- your knee is very painful
- you cannot move your knee or put any weight on it
- your knee is badly swollen or has changed shape
- you have a very high temperature, feel hot and shivery, and have redness or heat around your knee this can be a sign of infection
111 will tell you what to do. They can tell you the right place to get help if you need to see someone.
Go to 111.nhs.uk or .
You can also go to an urgent treatment centre if you need to see someone now.
They’re also called walk-in centres or minor injuries units.
You may be seen quicker than you would at A& E.
Don’t Miss: Why Is My Knee Joint Hurting
What You Need To Know
- The most common causes of knee pain are related to aging, injury or repeated stress on the knee.
- Common knee problems include sprained or strained ligaments, cartilage tears, tendonitis and arthritis.
- Diagnosing a knee injury or problem includes a medical examination and usually the use of a diagnostic procedure such as an x-ray, MRI, CT scan or arthroscopy.
- Both non-operative and surgical treatment options are available to treat knee pain and problems depending on the type and severity of the condition.
Incrediwear Knee Sleeve Knee Braces For Knee Pain Joint Pain Relief Swelling Inflammation Relief And Circulation Knee Support For Women And Men Fits 14
- PERFORMANCE: Ideal for high performance training, sports & exercise, Incrediwear’s body sleeves are worn by competitive and recreational athletes during and after activity to optimize performance and help prevent potential injury.
- RECOVERY: Find joint and muscle pain relief and faster recovery after intense workouts or injuries with Incrediwear’s full line of circulation sleeves, scientifically proven to increase blood flow and optimize the body’s healing process.
- MATERIAL: Incrediwear’s knee brace for women and men is embedded with semiconductors that are stimulated by body heat to help improve poor circulation & increase oxygen to optimize the natural healing process. Designed for rest, recovery, and activity, our knee support brace is made with breathable, form-fitting, & moisture-wicking fabric.
- ANTI INFLAMMATORY THERAPY: Unlike compression sleeves, Incrediwear knee sleeves for women and men are non-invasive, help increase blood circulation, and reduce inflammation for knee pain relief from acute or chronic joint injuries. The knee sleeve can be worn day and night for 24/7 recovery.
- RELIEF: Incrediwears knee brace support sleeve acts as an anti-inflammatory and can help alleviate symptoms and pain for a number of conditions, including ACL recovery and ACL surgery, meniscus tear, LCL injury, arthritis pain relief, ligament injuries, and tendonitis relief.
Read Also: How To Treat Eczema On Back Of Knee
Losing Weight Can Improve Knee Pain
“Your weight plays a major role in knee pain,” says Bush-Joseph. “If you walked around all day with a backpack that had a 10-pound weight in it, you would feel how achy your back, hips and knees are at the end of the day. That shows you the impact extra weight can have on your joints.”
With each step people take, two to four times their body weight is transmitted through the knee joint, according to Bush-Joseph. Thus, the more you weigh, the harder the impact is on your knee joint.
However, people who are overweight and have arthritic knee pain can lessen the impact and ultimately, relieve knee pain by losing weight. In fact, people with arthritic knees lose about 20 percent of their pain with every 10 pounds of weight loss.
“If you are 20 pounds overweight and you have arthritic knee pain, almost half of your pain will go away by losing 20 pounds,” says Bush-Joseph. Of course, losing 20 pounds isn’t easy. But, if people are able to lose even 10 pounds and add in some stretching and flexibility training, they’ll experience significantly less pain, according to Bush-Joseph.
The Most Important Piece Of The Puzzle
If youre overweight or obese, the most effective treatment is weight loss. This isnt surprising. Every extra pound of weight adds two to four pounds of excess pressure on your knees.
Losing weight is probably the most difficult part of the treatment puzzle, but its also the most important, says Dr. Day.
A weight loss program should include both diet and exercise. Some people have difficulty exercising to lose weight because their knees hurt. But any type of exercise can help, even strengthening the upper body.
Don’t Miss: Can You Regrow Cartilage In Your Knees
The Best Supplements For Knee Pain
Whether your knee pain is due to a sports injury or knee arthritis, the following supplements can reduce knee pain, knee stiffness and improve how your knees function in other words how well you can carry out every day activities like going up-and-down stairs, walking, getting in and out of the bath and even putting on your socks.
My knee joint
I know these supplements can reduce knee pain from personal experience, from reviewing the published research, and from seeing an X-ray of my right knee taken after a ski fall. Apart from some laxity from damaged ligaments my joint space looks great with no obvious signs of osteoarthritis, which I attribute to long-term use of glucosamine and chondroitin, krill oil, and vitamin C.
For treating the knee pain due to damaged ligaments, I added in turmeric, collagen and ginger with excellent results.
Different supplements work for different people, however, depending on the genes you have inherited. Some respond to glucosamine alone, but in my clinical experience most people benefit from taking both glucosamine plus chondroitin.
Combination supplements that blend ingredients for a synergistic effect can tackle knee pain through different mechanisms.
If you are not getting the degree of pain relief you hoped for after 6 weeks, you can either swap to a different treatment or add in another supplement.
Garlic And Root Vegetables
Garlic, onions, ginger and turmeric have anti-inflammatory properties. Various studies have shown that these pungent root vegetables can be useful in treating symptoms of arthritis and other joint pain. Incorporate these vegetables into meals for added flavor. Plus, theyre all available in a supplement.
Also Check: How To Relieve Knee Pain From Standing All Day
Protection Rest Ice Compression And Elevation
Rest, ice, compression, and elevation may help treat mild knee pain that results from a soft tissue injury, such as a sprain.
Protection refers to protecting the knee from further injury, for example, by taking a break from the activity that caused it.
Rest can reduce the risk of further injury and give tissues time to heal. However, stopping all movement is not advisable, as this can lead to stiffness and, in time, muscle weakness.
Ice can help reduce swelling and inflammation. It should be wrapped in a cloth and applied for 20 minutes several times on the first day of injury. Never put ice directly the skin, as this can lead to further damage.
Compression with a knee support, for example, can increase comfort levels. The support or bandage should be firm but not tight.
Elevation, or keeping the leg raised, will encourage circulation and reduce swelling. Ideally, the knee should be above the level of the heart.
Is Your Diet Important When Solving Knee Pain
Your diet also plays an important role in the overall health of your joints. If you want your joints to be healthy, eat foods rich in Vitamin D. These foods are great for your knee joints.
Furthermore, foods rich in Omega 3 fatty acids can also work wonders. But there are some people who struggle with incorporating healthy nutrients in their diet. In this case, taking supplements is highly recommended.
Athletes rely on joint supplements to support the overall health of their joints. They believe that taking supplements is the most effective way to provide essential nutrients to their body in order to stay active.
These supplements are also very useful for those who have suffered from injuries related to joints and are struggling with the pain. They provide fast, safe, and effective relief from joint pain.
You May Like: What To Take For Knee Pain
Wearing The Proper Shoes Is Important For Healthy Knees
Supportive and comfortable shoes help take pressure off the knee joint by promoting proper leg alignment and balance. So it’s no surprise that wearing high heels is a common cause of knee pain.
“When high heels lift your heel up, your weight bearing line tips forward so your quadriceps have to work harder to hold your knee straight, which then leads to knee pain,” says Bush-Joseph. “Whereas, if your heel is closer to the floor in low pumps or flats, your thigh muscles don’t have to work as hard to maintain stability, which is easier on the knees.”
While strength training and stretching can help build up the muscles around the knees to minimize knee damage from heels, it’s best to save the stilettos for special occasions.
Proper shoes are particularly important during exercise. “If you are taking up running as a newbie or starting a new form of aerobic exercise, getting professionally fitted from someone at a running or sporting goods store can help with knee problems and will certainly lower your incidence of having overuse problems due to footwear,” says Bush-Joseph.
Injections Are Another Low
If other strategies dont provide enough relief, injection therapy is an option with low risk.
A corticosteroid injection involves delivering this anti-inflammatory drug directly to the knee. The benefits are typically short lived. But it varies from person to person. I tell my patients the pain relief can last anywhere from a week to a year, says Dr. Day. One cautionary note with corticosteroids is the potential to increase blood sugar, which is a concern for people with uncontrolled diabetes.
For a possibly longer lasting effect, an injection of hyaluronic acid can be tried. Hyaluronic acid is a substance that healthy joints have a lot of and arthritic knees dont, says Dr. Day. It takes longer to start working than a corticosteroid injection, but the effect often lasts six months to a year.
Currently, research is being done on the effectiveness of platelet-rich plasma , which is not yet covered by insurance. PRP involves drawing some blood, spinning it in a centrifuge, and injecting part of it into the knee.
If youre not able to get your symptoms under control with a combination of these measures, she says, it could be time to talk to your doctor about surgery.
This article originally appeared in Cleveland Clinic Arthritis Advisor.
Whether You’re Active Or Not Stretching Is Good For The Knees
Stretches that focus on the calf, hamstring and quadriceps muscles take pressure off of the knees and kneecaps. “Many people often say there is no aerobic value in stretching, so they see it as a waste of time,” says Bush-Joseph. “But a well-conditioned, flexible body is less likely to develop overuse problems in the knees.”
Some good stretches to protect the knees include step-ups, hamstring curls and straight-leg lifts. Additionally, stretches that focus on building flexibility in the hips, including a butterfly stretch and a standing hip flexor with a resistance band, can help alleviate knee pain.
People who do not like to stretch before a workout can still protect their knees by slowly ramping up to top speed rather than jumping full speed into their workout.
Collagen Supplements For Knee Pain
While glucosamine and chondroitin give cartilage its flexibility and resilience, it gets its strength from a strong, fibrous protein known as type II collagen. Collagen is a protein composed of long chains of amino acids. Every third amino acid is glycine, with proline, hydroxyproline and hydroxylysine appearing in between. These last two amino acids are not found in any other human proteins.
Long chains of collagen come together in threes. Hydroxyproline, which needs vitamin C for its synthesis, has a unique shape which allows collagen fibres to twist around each other and form long triple strands for extra strength
You May Like: What Does Knee Osteoarthritis Feel Like
How Effective Are Cherry Supplements For Knee Pain
A group of 58 people with osteoarthritis of the knee were asked to drink either tart cherry juice or placebo juice for 6 weeks. Then, after a week of no treatment, they swapped over to take the other juice for another 6 weeks so acted as their own controls.
Their knee pain, knee stiffness and knee joint function were assessed before and after each treatment, and scores decreased significantly after the cherry juice treatment but not after the placebo treatment.
Achiou 2 Pack Patellar Tendon Support Strap Knee Pain Relief With Silicone Adjustable Knee Band Knee Strap For Gym Running Hiking Weight Lifting
- Absorb Shocks & Relieve Pain: Achiou Patellar Tendon Support Strap with built-in high quality soft silicone, prevents accidental damage and reduces pain for intense workout. The silicone suits your knee shape, absurdly comfortable
- Comfortable & Stay in Place: Made of soft and durable fabric, Achiou Knee Braces for Knee Pain is breathable, sweat absorption, easy to wash. The double knot design allows you to make it as tight or loose as you want without having to worry about its slipping or loosening while playing
- Full Adjustable & One Size Fits All: Achiou Knee Band made with the nylon button closure and segmented fix design, can make adjustment according to personal knee’s curves to supply better knee support protection. Fits for sizing of 8-18 inches in circumference
- Application: Perform well in a variety of sports scenes, like soccer, football, basketball, running, fitness, training, tennis, squats, weightlifting, cycling, especially for intense sports that require frequent jumping and landing, improving your sports performance. Perfect for people with tendonitis, arthritis and injury recover too
- Provide Compression: Achiou Patella Knee Strap for knee pain provides compression on the patellar tendon, helping spread pressure uniformly, reducing discomfort. Smooth edge of It Band Strap doesn’t irritate skin and wraps tight around your knee to apply support
Read Also: How To Cure Knee Joint Pain At Home
Pilates And Barre Exercises
We have mentioned this before, but one of the best things I have done for my overall knee health and knee pain management is doing Pilates and Barre exercises. In 2019, I started reformer Pilates at the Fit Lounge, and it was the first time in my journey of having rheumatoid arthritis that I could successfully work out! I am in the best shape of my life now, and it is due to finally learning how to do beneficial moves for joint health.
Reformer Pilates, mat Pilates at home, and teaching Barre class have been so helpful. I developed the Barre class I teach specifically for those with bad knees! You can try out Barre workouts for bad knees in this post.