What Are The Side Effects Of Laser Therapy
Although laser therapy wont cause any harmful effects, there are a few things you should keep in mind. Laser therapy may bring some minor side effects, mostly related to your skin. But if you go with proper aftercare then youll be saved from facing these kinds of troublesome matter.
A few concerns that may occur are:
- Redness & Swelling- the treated skin may be swollen and red for several months. Itll take a few months to get recover your previous skin.
- Infection- laser therapy mostly leads you to flaring up the herpes virus. Besides, you might fall victim to bacterial, viral, or fungal infections. But if you take the proper treatment, then wont be much of a problem. Connecticut Disc and Laser Therapy Centers, suggest effective aftercare techniques to avoid this sort of problems.
- Skin color- laser therapy might make your skin darker. It mostly happens with those people who already have darker skin.
- Acne- the thick creams and bandages may cause your skin acne and white bump issues.
- Scarring- there are slight chances that laser therapy may leave you with some permanent scars.
Cold Laser Therapy Treatments:
1. ACCELERATED TISSUE REPAIR AND CELL GROWTH
2. FASTER WOUND HEALING
Laser light increases collagen production by stimulating fibroblasts. Collagen is the building block of tissue repair and healing. Laser therapy increases fibroblast activity and therefore collagen production to speed healing.
3. REDUCED FIBROUS TISSUE FORMATION
Low level laser therapy decreases scar tissue formation. Scar tissue can be a source of chronic pain and poor healing. By eliminating excessive scar tissue and encouraging proper collagen production, painful scars and chronic pain is reduced.
Laser therapy causes vasodilatation which increases blood flow. The treatments also increases lymphatic drainage to decrease swelling or edema. Therefore, laser therapy reduces swelling caused by bruising or inflammation while speeding the recovery process.
5. PAIN RELIEF
Cold laser therapy decreases pain by blocking pain signals to the brain. Some nerve cells sense pain and send signals to the brain. Chronic pain can be caused by overly active pain nerves. Specific wavelengths help “shut off” the pain signals, thereby eliminating your pain.
Low level lasers are excellent at decreasing inflammation, which also increases pain nerve activity. Cold laser therapy also increases endorphins and enkephalins, which block pain signals and decrease pain sensation. Overall laser therapy reduces painful nerve signals and reducing your perceived pain.
6. INCREASED BLOOD FLOW
How Do I Take A Cold Laser Therapy Session
Some clinics and hospitals provide Cold Laser Therapy. However, that is expensive for most people and always needs appointments. Now, you wont need to contribute much time and effort when you have a Cold Laser Therapy device at home.
MiraMate Light Pad is a portable Cold Laser Therapy device for you to use at any time with ease. It is equipped with the most advanced Cold Laser theory to keep people away from acute and chronic pains. Furthermore, you can combine the Light Pad with Chinese acupuncture to get better therapeutic results.
Light Pad has been popular since its release. It has benefited tens of thousands of customers around the world with no record of side effects. Our customers have used it to help with their pain issues effectively. Light Pad also receives continuous positive reviews every day for being very user-friendly. Customers wear protective glasses first and then place the Light Pad on the pain or acupoint area. Turn on the Light Pad, and you will be ready for Cold Laser treatment.
You May Like: Flying After Knee Replacement Surgery
Data Extraction And Meta
Three reviewers each independently extracted the data for meta-analysis. Two of the reviewers each independently collected the other trial characteristics. The data-extraction forms were subsequently compared, and data disagreements were resolved by consensus-based discussions. Summary data were extracted, unless published individual participant data were available. The results from the included trials for statistical analysis were selected from outcome scales in adherence to hierarchies published by Juhl et al.
Pain intensity was the primary outcome. As pain reported with continuous, numeric and categorical/Likert scales highly correlates with pain measured using the VAS, the scores of all pain scales were transformed to 0%100%, corresponding to 0100 mm VAS. The pain results were combined with the mean difference method, primarily using change scores, that is, when only final scores could be obtained from a trial, change and final scores were mixed in the analysis, since the MD method allows for this without introducing bias.
Self-reported disability results were synthesised with the standardised mean difference method using change scores solely. The SMD was adjusted to Hedges g and interpreted as follows: SMDs of 0.2, ~0.5 and > 0.8 represent a small, moderate and large effect, respectively.
Lack of QoL data prohibited an analysis of this outcome.
The Causes Of Knee Pain
Knee pain is usually a symptom of an underlying condition. Disorders like arthritis, fibromyalgia, and neuropathy are common culprits. These ailments can create inflammation in the joints, causing swelling and discomfort. Knee pain can also be the result of a sports or auto-related injury. If not treated properly, an injury can develop into a chronic condition.
Also Check: Bioknee Cost
Pros And Cons Of Cold Laser Therapy
When deciding to have cold last therapy for your injury, your healthcare provider should explain to you the goals of the treatment. Also, they should discuss with you the expected benefits and risks associated with cold laser therapy.
Pros of cold laser therapy include:
- Treatment is not invasive.
- Treatment is typically painless.
- Cold laser therapy may help your injury heal faster.
Risks to cold laser therapy are minimal, but you should understand them. Cons to having the procedure done may include:
- You may need several treatments to realize positive results.
- Treatment may be expensive, especially if your health insurance does not cover the therapy.
- Some research indicates that cold laser treatments are no better than placebo for musculoskeletal injuries.
Having realistic expectations of using cold laser therapy for your injury can help you make an informed decision as to whether to have the treatment or not.
Handheld Veterinary Laser Therapy Machine 915nm Class 4 Medical Laser
|…Laser Therapy Machine For Faster healing and repair WHAT IS VETERINARY LASER THERAPY? Veterinary laser therapy is an innovative treatment that has gained popularity in recent years as veterinarians discover its benefits for pets. Used similarly to acupuncture, massage therapy, and other alternative therapies, laser treatment can be used in conjunction with or in place of medication to manage pain… Verified Supplier|
|Blood Pressure Reducing Low Level Laser Therapy Watch Red And Blue Light NEW TECHNOLOGY Now innovative 3-in-1 Low Level Laser Therapy Device combines acupuncture, local pain management& external blood irradiation (radial artery acupoint & … Verified Supplier|
|APPLICATION RANGE: Hypertension, Hyperlipemia,hyperglycaemia,diabetes,cardio-vascular, kinds of Rhinitis,Tinnitus,Body pain relief, etc. TREATMENT PRINCIPLE GD07-W -1 adopts low-intensity laser with the wavelength of 650nm , through the noninvasive … Active Member|
|Light Therapy Treatment Psoriatic Arthritis Device With Cold Light Model: COZING-T04 Please notice that COZING-T05 is the laser acupuncture pen , and the functions only 650nm laser therapy Product Description For acute and physical pain, it is a great cold… Active Member|
|About : LLL Laser Watch is an innovative triple-play device that uses the latest research in the field of low-level laser treatments.It combines acupuncture, local pain management and external blood exposure and will be your ideal partner, whether at home… Active Member|
Also Check: Dcf Compression Knee Sleeve
The History Of Cold Laser Therapy
The first FDA-approved research study conducted on cold laser therapy was on a carpal tunnel syndrome study in 2002. The participants consisted of General Motors workers who suffered from the ailment.
The laser strength used was powered at 830 nanometers. Later, the FDA approved lower level lasers for other conditions such as wound therapy, muscle, and joint pain as well as other health conditions.
These are the most common conditions treated by cold laser or red light therapy:
- Muscle strains and spasms
What To Follow After The Laser Therapy
Laser therapy doesnt bring any side effects with it. So you dont have to do expensive aftercare after having laser therapy like other treatments. Some regular aftercare attempts will do just great. So heres what to follow after laser therapy:
- Cleaning- consider cleaning the treated area after laser therapy. You can consult your doctor for selecting the cleaning method. But water, saline, or a diluted cleaning solution will work fine.
- Using sunscreen- to make your skin heal faster you will need to apply the right sunscreen in the therapy area. UV rays can cause a few issues in the affected area so sunscreen can be your savior in that case.
- Dealing with swelling and redness- you might get scared seeing the redness and swelling on the treated area. But its normal. To deal with that, applying ice packs, and a cold compress will solve the issues.
- No picking- never pick at your skin after going through the laser treatment. The treated area will peel while your new skin will grow. Keep patience and give that area time to heal.
You May Like: How Much Does Aflac Pay For Knee Surgery
Risks And Complications Of Laser Therapy
The lasers used in this type of therapy are cold, so there is little risk of serious side effects. Most studies have found no side effects. When studies do find side effects, they are minor and similar to the side effect of a placebo. As the lasers are cold and less powerful than other medical lasers, it is unlikely that they can cause serious health issues.
Little research has shown that laser therapy offers long-term relief. For people seeking affordable relief, there are often better options, including treating the underlying causes of pain, such as rheumatoid arthritis.
Home management strategies, such as rest, ice packs, compression, heat, massage, stretching, exercise, and the use of over-the-counter medications, can all offer temporary relief for minor knee pain.
For chronic or severe knee pain some treatments may offer relief. These include:
- strengthening exercises
- knee injections, hyaluronic acid supplements and corticosteroids
- arthrocentesis, involving removal of joint fluid through a needle
What Is Joint Pain
Joints make up the juncture between bones. When you have arthritis, or an injury, including overuse, it compromises your joints ability to move freely and without pain.
Both osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis cause painful joints. You may also experience joint pain due to bursitis, gout, and strains or sprains. Dr. Dillow helps you manage any of these issues, including strains or sprains due to sports injuries.
Don’t Miss: Does Aflac Cover Hysterectomy
Cold Laser Therapy For Treating Knee Pain Vs Cryosauna For Safety
New breakthroughs in medicine are nothing new. For the last two hundred years, leaps and bounds in the field have been made, taking society from the infancy of modern medicine through to todays miraculous life saving and health improving maneuvers. One area of medicine that is growing especially rapidly is the field of alternative medicine which includes natural treatments as well. Two especially popular techniques, whole body cryotherapy and low level laser therapy, are both purported methods of natural, non invasive, non medicinal yet effective treatment. In terms of treating knee pain, both methods have been used with varying levels of success. However, until more studies are conducted, the use of these methods for knee pain treatment is perhaps better compared in terms of cost, usage, practicality and safety until controlled and well documented studies provide more information about conclusive treatment successes.
The use of cold technology is rapidly changing the way we think about and treat pain. No longer is the ice pack the only method of chilling painful joints, muscles and injuries. With new technology comes greater cost and in some cases, more risk. However, some advanced treatment options provide safe, effective treatment that is well worth their balanced price point.
Red Light Therapy Device For Pain Relief Joint And Muscle Pain Reliever Infrared Light With 650nm And 808nm
- Portable & Convenient Operation: Small size and handheld, specially design for household use.
- More detail information please see the product manual which in the package box.
- A rechargeable 2600mAh lithium battery inside, when fully charged for 2 hours, its duration time reach 4 days.
- Turn On: Long press the ON/OFF button to turn on the device and click again to start.
- Please note there is a layer of film on the display screen in order to protect the display screen.
Also Check: How To Get Rid Of Knee Fat And Cellulite
What Other Treatments Help With Joint Pain
Chiropractic adjustments of the spine and manual therapy can help correct muscular imbalances that lead to joint pain. These complement the cold laser therapy treatments. If youre suffering from joint pain, call or schedule an appointment online with Dr. Dillow at Montgomery Chiropractic. Dr. Dillow will gladly answer any questions or concerns you may have so he can gather enough information to design the right treatment plan for your joint or knee pain. The practice is currently welcoming new patients and accepts most major forms of insurance.
“First time ever to see a Chiro very thorough & pleasant for 1st experience! Super nice!”
“Amazing staff. Fabulous service. Dr’s Zac and Zephyr could not recommend them more”
“I have seen Dr Zac for many years now and am enormously grateful for his quality care’
“I always have a good experience at MC! They are attentive, polite, and very competent.”
What Is Cold Laser Therapy
Typically, when a patient thinks of laser treatment, they often think of surgical procedures where lasers are used to cut open layers of the body’s soft tissue. These types of lasers are known as high-level or “hot” lasers. Cold laser devices are low-level lasers that are utilized for non-surgical procedures.
Unlike high-level lasers used in surgical procedures, cold laser devices cant cut through a patient’s skin. They are frequently used as an option for neck, shoulder, and knee pain treatment.
Also Check: Best Knee Walker 2016
How Does Lllt Work
Lasers and LEDs can be used to stimulate and improve cellular functions in the body that repair tissue, reduce inflammation and transmit pain. Lasers and LEDs produce intense beams of light at specific wavelengths. By applying the right wavelength, at the right intensity, for the right amount of time you can stimulate repair, resolve inflammation and reduce pain. In addition, LLLT single point lasers can release trigger points while completely avoiding needles. The intensity of LLLT lasers and LEDs is not high like a surgical laser. There is no cutting of tissues.
Our bodies absorb light energy. However, all light is not absorbed the same. Our cells respond to certain red and infrared wavelengths in ways that improve the level of day-to-day cellular function. Not only does this help with things like skin health and muscle recovery, but it may also play a role in the bodys ability to process stored fat.
Lasertrx Cold Laser Therapy Device
- 4 ENERGIES & 3 WAVELENGTHS FOR A QUANTUM TREATMENT EFFECT LaserTRX synchronizes laser energy + infrared energy + red light energy + static magnetic and induction energy to comprehensively relax muscles and relieve discomfort
- TREATS MUSCLE & JOINT DISCOMFORT IN KNEES, BACK, SHOULDERS, FEET & MORE The LaserTRX is preprogrammed to treat whatever discomfort youre dealing with, including discomfort from sports or work injuries. It relieves muscle stiffness, promotes tissue relaxation and provides increased blood flow to the treated area.
- USE THE STATE-OF-THE-ART COLD LASER DEVICE LaserTRX is an LLLT low level laser therapy device for relief of back, knee, wrist and other musculoskeletal discomfort. Its used by many physical therapists and athletic trainers. Get treatment for muscle, knee and back discomfort in the comfort of your home.
- EASIER, FASTER AND LESS EXPENSIVE THAN VISITING A SPECIALIST LaserTRX provides quantum relief of discomfort without the hassle, exposure risk or cost of visiting specialists. Use it anywhere and anytime. And you get a 180-day money-back guarantee and a 2-year warranty!
- SAFE! NO SIDE EFFECTS, NO HEAT This revolutionary cold laser therapy device safely reduces discomfort without any side effects or health risks.
Recommended Reading: Nano Knee Cost
Laser Therapy For Knee Pain
Laser therapy is an alternative treatment for some types of pain, such as that often associated with the knee.
Research on laser therapy is preliminary, and most insurers still consider it to be experimental. However, some studies show it can alleviate pain, including knee pain.
Laser therapy is also known as cold laser therapy, class III laser therapy, or low-level laser therapy . Some early studies have shown lasers might help wounds heal. If true, this suggests they could help the body to repair tissue damage caused by injuries and arthritis or other diseases. However, the first studies of cold therapy lasers were not controlled clinical studies.
Laser therapy is relatively new, and researchers do not yet know if it has any long-term risks. Most studies have looked at short-term effects, so it is possible that laser therapy could trigger longer-term side effects that have not yet been realized.
Fast facts on laser therapy for knee pain :
- Proponents of laser therapy say it offers both temporary pain relief and long-term healing.
- Supporters of laser therapy suggest it could treat ailments as diverse as arthritis, chronic pain, joint disorders, and even addictions, such as smoking.
- Research on pain in other areas of the body suggests that laser therapy can, as a minimum, offer temporary pain relief.
- Unlike surgical lasers, cold lasers do not heat up the bodys tissues.
Why is it so hard to determine if it works?
What are the alternatives to laser therapy for knee pain?